I really like idea of a cushion compact foundation, but I’ve never found the right one for me. Then I saw a bunch of people on YouTube making their own, and I thought I’d try it for myself.
This post contains affiliate links (marked with an asterisk ‘*’). Read my full disclaimer here.
There are a few reasons you might want to whip up your own compact foundation. Maybe you want to add SPF or facial oil your favourite formula, maybe you have two or three different foundations that you’re tired of mixing together every morning, or maybe you just want to make your foundation a little more travel friendly. The good news is that it’s pretty easy to do! Bad news? It can get a little messy… but for me, that’s part of the fun.
You Will Need:
- An empty cushion compact. You can find these on sites like Aliexpress* or eBay*.
- A foundation – or a mix of several foundations.
- (Optional) Anything that you might want to mix with the foundation(s); such as sunscreen, facial oil, or liquid highlighter.
- A small plastic spatula* to mix everything together – you can get these on eBay.
- Tweezers, to pick up the cushion.
- Cleaning materials: anti bacterial spray* and brush cleaning shampoo (or a solid soap) for the compact, and cleansing wipes to clean up any spillages.
How to Make Your Cushion Foundation:
(It’s ridiculously easy.)
1. Before we get started, make sure everything is clean.
Spray the inside of the compact with an anti bacterial spray (the same one you use for your makeup brushes), and wash the cushion with either a solid bar of soap or your regular brush cleaning shampoo. Then let everything dry.
2. Pour your foundation(s) into the compact.
I chose the Revolution Conceal and Define Foundation (I’ve always hated the packaging so I thought this would be a chance to try it in a different way). You could mix a couple of different products if you’re in-between shades or want a different finish. But don’t fill it too high – otherwise everything could spill over the sides when dunking the cushion into the mixture. Oh, and don’t forget to allow room for anything else you might want to mix in.
3. Pour anything else you want to mix into the compact.
I added the Superdrug Vitamin E Facial Oil for hydration, the Bodyshop Skin Defence SPF 50 for sun protection, add a little bit of the Reveal Highlighter (I liked the champagne tone of this one, but of course a cheaper liquid highlighter will also be fine) for radiance. The ratio of foundation to skincare is entirely up to you, depending on how dewy or sheer you want your new foundation to be.
Tip: Make sure the products you’re using are very liquid-y. For example, use things like oils and serums instead of moisturisers.
4. Stir the formula and cover the cushion.
Mix everything together with a spatula, and then pick up the cushion with some tweezers. Dip the cushion straight into the mixture and soak it thoroughly. Then put it back on it’s little slot in the compact.
5. You’re done! Time to try out your new foundation.
That’s it! Told you it was easy. Now you can test your new foundation by dabbing the applicator into the cushion. Try applying it on your hands or face to see if you want to make any changes – like mixing in more serum to sheer it out, or another foundation to adjust the colour.
Do you think you would ever try making your own cushion foundation? Let me know in the comments section below!